AINW is looking for an experienced archaeologist interested in working as part of our team on projects throughout Oregon and Washington. The position is based in our Portland, Oregon, office. We are seeking to hire a qualified candidate to fill the position of Staff Archaeologist. AINW’s Staff Archaeologists are responsible for a variety of tasks related to project work in the field and the laboratory, as well as non-project support tasks. This position is full-time (40 hours per week) and is regular status with comprehensive benefits. The pay rate range is $25 to $30 per hour and overtime is paid when more than 40 hours are worked in a work week.
The successful candidate will have:
- Archaeological field work experience which includes survey, shovel testing, and excavation in 10-centimeter levels.
- Ideally, a B.S./B.A. degree in anthropology with course work specific to archaeology.
- Ability to write clearly and succinctly.
- Previous experience with site forms and cataloging.
- Familiarity with in-field GPS data collection.
- Familiarity with laboratory techniques and methods.
- Ability to work with detailed and standardized processes and routines.
- Ability to complete assigned tasks effectively and efficiently.
- Ability to anticipate next steps in all work assigned and take appropriate action.
- Ability to work well with others – communicate clearly, be team oriented, willing to contribute above and beyond basic expectations, and provide support and leadership to those less skilled and experienced.
- Strong work ethic, integrity, and professionalism.
- Candidates must be competent with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Access is highly desirable.
- Employee must possess a current driver license and qualify for inclusion on the Company’s vehicle operator insurance plan.
Field work responsibilities involve:
- Working as part of an archaeological team conducting survey and excavations.
- Performing heavy physical labor using a variety of hand tools and equipment.
- Carrying equipment and setting up work sites, at times involving walking long distances with gear.
- Working in inclement weather conditions, including rain, snow, and heat, yet following safety procedures proactively.
- Documenting excavation sites and the data recovered.
- Conducting surface surveys and excavating shovel tests, quarter test units, and 1×1 meter units.
- Mapping sites and features and drawing soil stratigraphy.
- Driving a company truck or SUV or personal vehicle.
- Frequent out-of-town field work.
Laboratory responsibilities involve:
- Entering data into Microsoft Access and Excel; conducting queries and exporting results.
- Carefully examining and evaluating sample materials and artifacts; attention to detail is paramount.
- Lifting boxes and moving materials, some of which may be heavy (exceed 30 lbs).
- Tracking bags of artifacts and samples, and ensuring they are sealed and opened properly.
- Washing artifacts and water-screening bulk samples outside the lab.
- Maneuvering boxes and materials which will involve twisting, turning, stooping, and bending. Lab work also requires sitting for extended periods at a work station.
- Labeling photographs and completing paperwork with highly legible handwriting.
- Photographing artifacts.
Secondary duties include:
- Maintenance of gear including repairing screens and cleaning hand tools and equipment, washing trucks, running errands, and performing general maintenance around the office.
- Will perform other duties as assigned.
If you are interested in joining our team, please send a letter of interest and availability, and a current resume that provides information about your capabilities and employment experience to email@example.com. Let us know if you have areas of specialization and/or interest that we should know about. If you would like additional information, you may contact AINW via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you!
AINW is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity in our workplace. All qualified applicants regardless of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, military status, or genetic information are welcome to submit a resume for full consideration. If you need any accommodation in the application, interviewing or selection process, please let us know by contacting email@example.com.