Passport in Time (PIT) is a volunteer archaeology and historic preservation program of the USDA Forest Service. Current PIT opportunities are available by state, project date, and summary table. They are on the web at www.passportintime.com.
Screenings is published monthly by the Oregon Archaeological Society (OAS), PO Box 13293, Portland, OR 97213. OAS also has monthly meetings (except June through August) and sponsors training programs, workshops, and lectures. OAS can be contacted by phone at 503-727-3507. They are on the web at www.oregonarchaeological.org.
Archaeological Fieldwork Opportunities Bulletin (AFOB) is published by the Archaeological Institute of America (AIA). Orders can be placed through Oxbow Books/David Brown Book Company online at www.oxbowbooks.com or by phone at 800-791-9354. AIA is on the web at www.archaeological.org.
Architectural Heritage Center News & Notes is published quarterly by the Bosco-Milligan Foundation, PO Box 14157, Portland, OR 97293; Phone: 503-231-7264. They are on the web at www.architecturalheritagecenter.org.
Earthwatch is a monthly eNewsletter publication of Earthwatch Institute. They can be contacted by writing to Earthwatch Institute, 3 Clock Tower Place, Suite 100, Maynard, MA 01754; by phone at 800-776-0188; or on the web at www.earthwatch.org.
On the internet there are a number of interesting and useful sites, many with links to other organizations that offer volunteer opportunities in archaeology and/or preservation. Some of these are:
- www.saa.org by the Society for American Archaeology (SAA) Public Education Committee, provides “field and lab opportunities” and “state links” to find information about archaeology or contacting archaeologists.
- www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/heritage by the USDA Forest Service.
- www.stanford.edu/dept/anthropology/cgi-bin/web for the Department of Anthropological Sciences and for the Department of Cultural and Social Anthropology at Stanford University.
- www.cr.nps.gov/getinvol.htm by the National Park Service.
- www.preservationvolunteers.org by Preservation Volunteers, Inc., provides links for volunteers interested in preservation projects.